I like a meadow covered with golden flowers and golden wreaths on my head. I like to blow my dandelions sometimes and I love when wishes come true. What about locking some of this magic in a jar ?
It’s a bit enigmatic: wishes coming true, the gold and the jar, but I promise that everything will be explained – just keep reading.
I wish I could say that this is a secret recipe for the gummiberry juice, because as you know ”Magic and Mystery,
Are part of their history,
Along with the secret,
Of gummiberry juice. ”
Undoubtedly, the recipe for gummiberry juice would be something big and I promise you that one day I will share this secret with you -work in progress.
In the meantime, I would like to tell you about another, equally wonderful, secret recipe. It’s the most carefully guarded by the bees recipe for honey from dandelions.
This is a real magic potion with lots of benefits for your health :
- Lots of vitamins A, C and D, which boost our immunity, help to fight cough and support our bones
- Vitamins B – necessary for nervous system and supporting the liver in removing toxins from our bodies
- Potassium, magnesium, iron and silicon – supporting your immunity and digestive system
- Multiple tannin with their anti-inflamatory antipruritic and germicidal properties which are particularly useful in fighting throat infections
- Flavonoids slowing ageing processs and decreasing the risk of cancer and circulatory system illnesses
- Triterpene – helping to lower cholesterol levels and showing painkilling, antiviral, antimycotic and detoxificating properties
- Aspargine – supporting our thinking processes
- Inulin – protecting intestines from infections, lowering sugar levels in your blood, supporting your immune system
- Silisic acid – accelerating wound healing and improving the look of the skin
- Polifenol – antiarteriosclerotic agent, improving the metabolism, fighting the fever and rheumatism
No wonder it’s called a liquid gold !
I have to admit, I’ve adjusted this recipe a bit to make it easier. Bees have hundreds of years of tradition and all infrastructure created only for honey production. We are not able to compete with them.
We can make our “honey” of dandelion flowers in an easier way, though.
Recipe for dandelion honey
500 gr of flower petals
1 liter of water
Juice of 2 lemons
800 gr of sugar
Making honey this way is really not difficult.
You only need flower petals, water, lemons and sugar.
Remember to leave the petals spread on some paper for a while. This will give the ants and meadow spiders a chance to escape and avoid bathing.
When every living creature is safely out, put flower petals in a pot, add water and cook for 20 minutes. Leave it for the night.
Strain the dandelion petals.
Pour into the pot dandelion brew along with sugar and 2 lemon juice
Cook it slowly on a low fire for an hour or until the syrup becomes thick.
To check if the syrup is thick enough, take a little of it on a teaspoon and pour it onto a flat plate. It should get thick in a few minutes.
Enjoy your sweet honey from golden flowers ☺
Let me know if in your country you also have a dandelion and blowing them away makes wishes come true.